Saturday, June 12, 2010


I am taking a break from the World Cup to answer a few questions people seem to have, first being about my assignment. Beginning in July I will be living in a town called Ukunda ON THE COAST! It is about 3 km from Diani Beach which happens to be the nicest most upscale beach in all of East Africa. While this might prohibit me from having the typical Peace Corps experience I am sure I can make the best of it. I will be a bike ride away from 4star resorts, beachfront bars, amazing snorkeling over coral reef, whale shark watching tours and gnarly reef breaks. Within a 10 km radius of my home there are 2 known surf breaks both being shallow hollow reef breaks and countless undiscovered ones (apparently I am going to have to step up my surfing quickly). This being so, priority number one is now finding a surfboard. As cool as my locale will be my job will also be pretty sweet. I have a number of assignments including marketing for a furniture company that makes stuff out off palm wood and coconuts, running activities at a boys vocational school and marine environmental conservation. Right up my ally? I think so! As you can imagined I am super stoked and can't get wait to get out there! The other question I am receiving is what animals have you seen and or been bitten by? Other than the ones I saw on my drive out here, nothing to crazy. I saw a family of Colobus Monkeys my first week (top left). Also some cool birds and strokes, an Agama Lizards, a dead Chameleon and a Bearded Dragon. The Bearded Dragon is the only thing I have been bit by so far. There is a serious cricket problem in my bed room and am planning on letting a few lizards lose in my room to eat them. I will keep you posted on how that turns out. Other than World Cup festivities nothing too eventful is happening I have seemed to settle into a normal routine. I miss everyone, have a good weekend!
Dino

No comments:

Post a Comment